Windows 7 Tricks
written by: admin
7/19/14 Last Updated:
- How do I turn off those warnings asking for admin permissions? In the search line of your start menu type in UAC. Set it to the lowest setting then restart your computer to turn off those annoying pop ups asking if you really want to install and run everything.
- How can I change the Taskbar Icons? Create a shortcut for the icon you want to change and place it on the desktop or in a folder. Look at the Properties for the icon you created. You will see an option to change the icon at the bottom of the "Customize" tab. You can either select one of the icons provided or browse to the .ico file you have downloaded. Several free icons can be found at IconArchive. ref For WMP I use this.
- How can I go directly to the task manager? Use Ctrl+Shift+Esc instead of Ctrl+Alt+Del to go straight to the task manager. You can also right click on the taskbar and select task manager.
- How can I get the Quick Launch toolbar back? Right click on the toolbar and choose "New toolbar" for the location enter %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch and then Select Folder button. ref, ref2
- How can I get the run command line back?
In the properties of the Start Menu select the Start Menu tab ––> customize ––> check the Run command box near the bottom. ref
You can also access the run command prompt with WinKey + R.
- How to fully expand All Programs in the start menu: see this
- How can I add deviant art themes?
I use the Zune theme for Windows 7. It has the much added bonus of eliminating the taskbar transparency and giving you a solid color taskbar. You may need to install the universal theme patcher first. Alternatively you can use UxStyle. After that you may want to look into customizing your themes. I use resource hacker as I was unable to find Restorator. List of places to hack using resource hacker.
- Change folder background
Download AveFolderBG, unzip, run the .bat file, accept, restart your computer. When you right click on a folder and select the properties you will see a new tab for setting the background image of the folder.
- Remove the extra space in the taskbar icons To remove the extra space between icons on the Taskbar I use 7+ Taskbar Tweaker. It is simple and easy to use. changelog. Direct link.
- Show File extensions Control Panel ––> Appearance and Personalization ––> Show hidden files and folders ––> uncheck Hide extensions for known file types. ref
- Take a screen shot of only one monitor Alt + Print Screen
- Log on without a password: Start ––> Run and type in control userpasswords2 ––> ok ––> uncheck Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer. ––> ok ––> Automatically Log On window will pop up ––> Type in the user name you wish to log on as. If you have two administrators I would suggest using one other than one with the name of Administrator. If you are prompted to enter a password, leave it blank and hit enter.
- Turn off Aero (transparency) Right click on the desktop and select Personalize. Click Window Color. Uncheck Enable transparency and click save changes.
Print contents of a folder into a text file. In the command prompt type the following:
dir "C:\Users\Your Name\Desktop\sermons mp3">print.txt
This will create a text file named print.txt
located at C:\Users\Your Name\
Turn off sticky keys go to Control Panel ––>Ease of Access––>Ease of Access Center––>Make the keyboard easier to use
I have all of the boxes unchecked.
Windows 7 tipsTAGS: software tips