Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II – troubleshooting
written by: admin
8/5/11 Last Updated:
This game crashed a lot
when I tried to play it. My problem lay with the drivers installed for the NVIDIA Geforce 8500 GT graphics card. The ones I had installed were from Windows Update. When I installed the drivers directly I did not have this problem. The drivers I installed were 275.33. The drivers can be downloaded here
Jumpy graphics or suddenly moving really fast
This is actually a problem with many older games trying to run on computers with multiple processors. To fix this hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and right click the application and set the affinity to one processor. It does not matter which. To make this automatic read this thread
Permanently Setting Affinity
- If you play light side you must not choose to give up your weapons to the handmaidens.
- When in the Secret Tomb on Korriban do not side with Kreia.
If you do either of these you will still be able to play the game, but you will be unable to progress further. The game will have effectively hit a dead end.
The Sith Lords Restored Content
With Steam after downloading the patch browse to the folder where KOTOR2 was installed. For me in Windows 7 it is located C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Knights of the Old Republic II
and must be installed inside that folder.
To tell if this has been installed you will see a logo for the mod on the start screen.
KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2 were not designed to run on much higher resolutions like 1920x1080. To achieve this you will need Universal Widescreen
for KOTOR 2 or Flawless Widescreen
for KOTOR 1
The instructions are given in the patches and are easy to read and follow. Two points bear repeating from their instructions:
- Flawless Widescreen needs to be running before starting to play KOTOR 1.
- The game must be run and then exited a few times before the changes take effect. For me it took about 12+ times to run the game and exit and then start it up again. I also restarted my computer once or twice. After that the game ran perfect without any hitches at 3840x1600.
- Be sure to edit the swkotor2.ini file then under [Graphics Options] and [Display Options] and change the width and height to what you want.
- Then in the game use 1280x960 resolution to view the new resolution. The game only needs to be patched once.
- This patch needs to be applied after installing the TSLRC 1.8.3 patch.
TAGS: windows xp
, star wars